We are excited to announced that Voices of Academia has just launched a podcast!
Listen to this episode directly at the link below, or click through to find the link to your preferred listening platform.
Episode 1: Why an Academic Mental Health Podcast?
TW: Suicidal ideation
In the first episode, the Voices of Academia concept and the team are introduced.
Academics Dr. Marissa Kate Edwards, Dr. Zoe Ayres, and Emily King (PhD loading) open up about why academic mental health advocacy is important to them and why it’s necessary. They also share some of their own wellness suggestions and how you can get involved with the blog or podcast.
They also discuss:
- Some of the challenges of academia, including the pressure to publish
- How knowing the statistics can’t prevent mental illness
- The power of personal mental health and wellness stories
- The physical side of mental illnesses often doesn’t get talked about
- Benefits of social media for academic networking, validating experiences and support
- The academic culture to pretend “everything is ok”
- The Mental Health First Aid course
- The importance of supervisor wellness training and education
- The importance of sleep
The full transcript of the podcast is available here.
For mental health support, please contact your GP or use the appropriate support for your country at https://checkpointorg.com/global/
Sound: Mindset by Ketsa is licensed under an Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License, available through Free Music Archive.